Sunday, January 17, 2010

Palette Party

In this photo: Rebecca, Little Guy, Lindsey Rowe, Paula and Caroline. This was the whole group in 1956. Yet to join us were Jimmy, Kay, Keith and Mike. Many times when we were at Mawmaw's together we would sleep and take our naps on palettes. In this age where children in the U.S. are likely to each have their own room with en suite bath, few will know what a palette is. My definition is a layer of blankets or quilts on the floor in the living room, dining room (under the table was always best), on the screened porch,etc. where a child or a group of children would lay for a nap or a night's sleep. We loved the palettes. There was something cozy and other wordly about getting the chance to sleep on the floor and especially under the table. Trying to sleep with a group of children who were a variety of ages can be a challenge. I can remember we all learned quickly not to put our feet on Paula as she was likely to bite. She just hated for anyone to touch her with their feet. Mawmaw made a game out of nap time or night sleep. Imagine being able to con five children into thinking they were on a great palette adventure. I think Paula is toting a gun in a holster in this photo. You don't see children playing with guns anymore but this was a more innocent time when guns meant cowboys and Indians. Playing cowboys and Indians is most likely not even politically correct now. We had such a charmed childhood, surrounded by the women who loved us. Claudia, Lille, Sally.

Lindsey, Paula and I are sporting hair dos that were known as a Pixie. We had these hair dos because mother did not want to put our hair in pig tails and pony tails anymore. I imagine that mornings were less chaotic without all that hair to brush and put up. Hair washing day must have been made easier as well. No more crying and fussing about tangled hair caught in a brush or comb.

Can you imagine what those Pixies looked like after a nap or a night's sleep on a palette? A bushy mess.

Lindsey is holding Caroline. Lindsey was a good big sister, cousin. In many childhood photos she can be seen holding the younger ones. She was our leader. We all looked up to her. Whatever she ate, we wanted to eat. Whatever she did, we wanted to do. Whatever palette she was on, we wanted to be on too.

7 comments:

  1. I remember palettes well because houses usually weren't as big as those of today and bedrooms contained more than one bed reserved for the adults. Whenever we visited relatives, palettes provided a fun out-of-the ordinary experience. Can you imagine putting those priceless, handmade quilts on the floor today? Instead, we pack them away, preferably in an acid free environment, and treasure them for the simpler time of our memories. You have inspired me to write about my childhood for Aud and my nieces and nephews. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my favorite pictures. Do you realize that we were aged 1,2,3,4 and 5 in that picture; that Little Jimmy was born shortly thereafter and Keath and Kay followed about six months after that? Everybody's favorite baby, Mike, finished out our little band of gypsy cousins three years after that.

    Under the table was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute picture! It reminds me of a similar one I have of my favorite cousins and me. I loved taking a palette nap under the hum of the window air conditioner. Our palettes usually became a fort supported by the dining room chairs. We knew how to enterain ourselves without the tv. I'm going to make sure my granddaughter, Kallie,
    *sleeps on a palette,
    *builds forts with "heirloom quilts,"
    *makes mudpies
    *builds treehouses
    *plays hide and seek and kick the can
    *knows what a seesaw is
    *has a set of paperdolls
    What else do I need to make sure she experiences?

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Jacks
    *Hide and seek
    *fairy tales; some can be grusome save for later
    *makes Mississippi mud cookies
    *snow cream
    *naps on a screened in porch in the middle of the day
    *swims in the river
    *walks in the woods
    *more later

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paper dolls! For years I kept paper dolls of the JFK family on a shelf in my office. With Marilyn Monroe and the Pope paper dolls. Some of my favorite are paper dolls of the Supreme Court justices. When confirmation hearings roll around, I change my avatar to a scan of the retiring Justice paper doll. Last winter I ordered Obama family paper dolls, but I haven't found them entertaining, yet.

    And another thing grandchildren must not miss ...going to the levy. Remember Big Jimmy gathering up giant, flattened cardboard boxes and taking us all to the levy of the Mississippi River? We would trudge up and slide back down all Sunday afternoon and then cook hotdogs over a fire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The levy sliding should be a story in and of itself. I have very fond memories of that particular activity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me, too! You should write it up.

    ReplyDelete