Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Hey "Sug"


Mornings are the most difficult. I talked to Sally every morning. Sometimes we just caught up with the other siblings that had called with news. Sometimes it was to discuss the day ahead or the week or weekend to come. She always greeted me with Hey "Sug". I have a feeling she greeted all of us with Hey "Sug". "Sug" being a diminutive of Sugar. I am so glad she did not call me that while I was growing up. I don't feel like" sug"would have fit me well. She may have been the only one who thought I was as sweet as sugar. She overlooked so much. My name was always Rebecca to her. The first few years of school she marched me in by the hand on the first day and explained to each teacher that my name was Rebecca not Becky and that I was never to be called by a nickname. Later in Junior high, I had many nicknames but the one most used was Becca. I even had that put on my cheerleader uniform. She did not like that at all. I explained that the "Re" would not fit on the megaphone of the uniform and for some reason she accepted that. I am so glad she was stern in this regard as I am definitely a Rebecca. Photo is of the megaphone Mother had saved.

As you can imagine my two younger brothers had difficulty pronouncing such a name and so to them I became something that sounded like tobacco. It is a miracle that that didn't stick. I don't know why she easily called the brothers, Mike and Jimmy. All of her female chicks were called by full names; Lindsey, Paula and Rebecca. Whatever she called us we felt privileged. There were times she would say to us only things a mother can get by with and we accepted it easily.

She loved her grandmother name, Sassy. It suited her. She became known as Sassy to all of her children, grandchildren, their friends, all that knew her and loved her. Sarah Clyde Proctor Rowe, our Sassy.

4 comments:

  1. Rebecca, I sent these to Sarah and she said you write beautifully about our mother. I agree. Of course I cry each time I read, but I think that is helping my grief. I too talked to Mother weekly and then daily. You are bringing back such sweet memories, please keep it up. I miss her so much and reach to call her often. We are so blessed to have each other to help with the beautiful memories and to support each other when we want Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do y'all remember talking to Mawmaw every Saturday morning? It probably was the driving force keeping me somewhat civilized at the time. She called every Saturday morning. I always imagined that she feed Daddy Guy, got her coffee and started down the list. I didn't realize it at the time, but she knew how to apply the glue that kept us together. She always wanted to know what was new with me (I was 23-30) and shared every new little tidbit from each child/grandchild. I miss her terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Bec? Your blog is wonderful. Such a great idea. So proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Mamaw's phone calls. Many Saturdays I woke earlier than I wanted because I did't want her to know I had been lazy enough to sleep in.

    ReplyDelete